Want Great Airbnb Guest Reviews? Let them Sleep on It
The Airbnb Ambassador & Super Host Coach, “A-Coach,” sat in his office when the phone rang. It was on the Airbnb business line, and he picked it up.
“Good morning, A-Coach here. How may I help you?”
“Hi coach, this is Bill. My wife and I are setting up our first Airbnb, and we are already arguing about bedding. Can you help us?”
“I am happy to help. By the way, this is one of my favorite topics because it is a significant purchase, you don’t want to get it wrong, and it can make or break your business. What is causing your dilemma?”
“As I said, we are just getting into Airbnb hosting. We inherited my mother’s home when she passed. She has a lot of lovely, although older, furniture including beds in the rooms we want to rent. My wife says we should get all new furniture. I say that we cut down the expenses by reusing the beds.”
“I have heard this argument before, so you are not alone. Let me ask you the same question you should be asking yourself all the time. Are outstanding public reviews on your Airbnb listing important to you? And, if so, how would sleeping on the old beds reflect in your reviews?’
“Now that you put it that way, I think the answer is obvious. I think we both should spend a night on the beds and see what our opinion is after that experience.”
“That is a great idea. However, I would like to offer my opinion. Have you ever slept on a memory foam mattress?”
“I don’t think so, but I don’t know for sure.”
“You would know, trust me!”
“Perhaps a little background is in order.
Astronauts need a good night’s sleep too
“Charles Yost headed NASA’s design team in 1962. The problems they were trying to solve were:
- A material to evenly distribute weight, relieve pressure points, disperse temperature, and improve comfort.
- A material that sprang back into its original shape, offering each user a personalized seat cushion.
“The result was memory foam. NASA released the right to the memory foam formula in the early 1980s. The manufacturing process remained expensive and challenging, though, and produced inconsistent results. In 1992, Tempur-Pedic, a Swedish mattress company, found a way to manufacture high-quality mattresses consistently. Now, you have many high-quality mattress manufacturers, and competition has benefited the purchaser.
“Why memory foam? There are qualities box springs simply do not provide.
- Memory foam conforms to the user’s body, which can provide a more comfortable sleep.
- Users report less pain since the material disperses body weight evenly across the mattress and thus relieves pressure points on the shoulders, hips, and legs.
- The cool gel memory foam mattress also reduces heat throughout the night.
- Thanks to this technology, you may get a more comfortable night’s sleep, experience less pain and less insomnia, and wake up more refreshed.”
“Well, Bill, did you expect to hear such an interesting history of a mattress?”
“No, I didn’t.”
“Now that you do, you are likely to see its use in other places
- Yoga mats
- Bike seats
- Support cushions
- Football helmets
- All over the hospital, from beds to high-tech diagnostic equipment.”
What are the Key Elements when Choosing a Memory Foam Mattress?
When purchasing a mattress, memory foam, or spring, here are some things to keep in mind.
- Use your old bed frame if it is very sturdy and makes no noise. A furniture repair shop can tighten it up, glue the joints and reinforce it.
- You can reuse box springs.
- I suggest queen size for two reasons
- Two guests can easily fit in a queen bed
- And unlike larger sizes, queen beds don’t take up too much of the bedroom real estate, helping to give the impression of being uncluttered.
- Memory foam comes in several different thicknesses. Stick with 10” or 12” because it has the right balance between the memory foam layer and one or two other foam layers.
- Memory foam comes in your choice of firmness from soft to firm. I would always go for the middle firmness
- Think beyond the now and to when you might expand to other rooms. You want all the bed, mattress, and sheet sizes the same, so you don’t need a large inventory.
- There are many reputable manufacturers out there all competing for your business. Look for the deals. Look for user reviews.
- The prices of queen memory foam mattresses range in price from $400 and up.
- Order online or have delivered from a local shop. Memory foam is full of air. It comes compressed. Carefully open the plastic bag and watch it expand to its full size in a day.
After Cleanliness, Guests Want a GREAT Night’s Sleep
“What do our guests say?
Akihl: “The bed and room were very comfy.”
Halle: “The bed in the heart room is THE comfiest.”
Hunter: “Great value and the bed is super nice.”
Brittney: “The bed was extremely comfortable.”
Kristine: “I have to emphasize how comfortable the bed and the blankets were.”
Sheri: “The bed was one of the best I’ve ever slept in.”
Jeff: “The room was cozy and the bed unbelievably comfortable.”
“So, Bill, let me ask the same question I asked at the start of our conversation. ‘Are outstanding public reviews on your Airbnb listing important to you? And, if so, how would sleeping on the old beds reflect in your reviews?’
“Point taken. Most guests book for a clean, safe, and comfortable stay. Sleeping in great comfort for most of their time with us is the least we can offer.
“Thanks for your coaching. You make it all seem so simple.”
“It has been a pleasure.”